”L.L This is our third visit to Eilean Shona and each time we have stayed in Red Cottage. We have had a wonderful time and can't wait to come back.
A 15 minute walk from the landing pontoon, Red Cottage is set high above the lily pond. Both its bedroom, with king size bed, and sitting room have large picture windows framing breathtaking views over Loch Moidart. Each of Shona's cottages has a visitors' book filled with nature sightings, ideas for places to explore and sketches - Red Cottage’s guest book has many accounts of the visiting pine martens, which make daily appearances around the cottage. There is also a picnic table and campfire pit overlooking the loch. You are only a 5 minute walk to Wi-Fi in the Village Hall.
Camp beds are available for additional guests, surcharge of £150 applied for adults, under 12’s stay free.
layout & features
- The cottage season opens at the end of March and closes at the end of October.
- Some cottages are available outside the season and for Christmas and New Year. Longer lets are also available in certain cottages.
- Dogs are welcome (limit of 2) with a cleaning supplement in all cottages, with the exception of the Sail Loft. In the summer months, there are ticks in the long grass and we recommend you give your dog tick treatment before arrival.
- A RIB is used to transport you to the island on arrival and departure days. A quad and trailer will transport your luggage to your cottage then again on departure (South Shore only by boat).
- There is the opportunity to leave the island on a Wednesday. Journeys outside this can be negotiated but are subject to a charge of £40 each way.
- We provide towels, bed linen, oven gloves, tea towels, salt and pepper, tin foil and cling film. We also provide you with essential amenities such as a starter pack of toilet roll, kindling, firelighters and matches. If you run out of any amenities, you can purchase extras from the Island Shop.
- The Island Shop stocks enough for your basic needs, but you will need to bring your own fresh food.
- For guests who would like to stay connected, there is Wi-Fi access in the village hall.
- All cottages are non-smoking.
Respect for the environment is our core principle in how we manage and run the island. We make every effort to be plastic-free and carbon neutral on the island with no cars and plentiful wood supply. All our electricity comes from the local hydro-electric power station. Our water supply comes from the hills. We are meticulous with our recycling and use only bio-cleaning products. We understand our role in the guardianship of the island and our mission is to protect this vital environment for future generations.