”A.H The sail loft was spectacular. We loved waking up to an incredible view over the water in the most comfortable bed we’ve ever slept in…It was a magical week in the perfect setting… There is just enough to do to keep you active but also slow the pace of life down. There was nothing better than a sauna to warm up after a bracing swim in the bay.
The Sail Loft sits on the shore of Eilean Shona’s main harbour, and boasts second-to-none views across Loch Moidart out to Castle Tioram.
Our newest holiday cottage sleeps four across a double and a twin room, and features a Nordic sauna and underfloor heating throughout — perfect for warming up after a dip in the loch. The bespoke emperor sized bed (created in partnership with uber-luxury bed makers Hästens) is situated directly in front of the expansive french windows that offer spectacular sunrise loch-views as you awake. Amenities include a full kitchen, a chic green-tiled shower room, and a gorgeous custom-made copper roll top bath.
Beneath a church-like pitched ceiling, the main bedroom, living room, and kitchen are open-plan and feature a wood-burning stove at the heart of the building. During the day skylights flood the loft with light, and in the evening the cantilevered balcony is a perfect stage for cocktails and canapés with a view of the castle.
The living space occupies the upper level of the former working boat house, a space originally used to lay out yacht sails after vessels were brought out of the water. With its natural stonework and red metal roof, the building's aesthetics are quintessential Scottish West Coast vernacular.
Whether you’re on your honeymoon or booking a sneaky romantic getaway, or want an extra special treat for your family, The Sail Loft is destined to become the West Coast’s worst-kept secret.
layout & features
- The cottage season opens at the end of March and closes at the end of October.
- Some cottages are available outside the season and for Christmas and New Year. Longer lets are also available in certain cottages.
- Dogs are welcome (limit of 2) with a cleaning supplement in all cottages, with the exception of the Sail Loft. In the summer months, there are ticks in the long grass and we recommend you give your dog tick treatment before arrival.
- A RIB is used to transport you to the island on arrival and departure days. A quad and trailer will transport your luggage to your cottage then again on departure (South Shore only by boat).
- There is the opportunity to leave the island on a Wednesday. Journeys outside this can be negotiated but are subject to a charge of £40 each way.
- We provide towels, bed linen, oven gloves, tea towels, salt and pepper, tin foil and cling film. We also provide you with essential amenities such as a starter pack of toilet roll, kindling, firelighters and matches. If you run out of any amenities, you can purchase extras from the Island Shop.
- The Island Shop stocks enough for your basic needs, but you will need to bring your own fresh food.
- For guests who would like to stay connected, there is Wi-Fi access in the village hall.
- All cottages are non-smoking.
Respect for the environment is our core principle in how we manage and run the island. We make every effort to be plastic-free and carbon neutral on the island with no cars and plentiful wood supply. All our electricity comes from the local hydro-electric power station. Our water supply comes from the hills. We are meticulous with our recycling and use only bio-cleaning products. We understand our role in the guardianship of the island and our mission is to protect this vital environment for future generations.